Monday, March 17, 2008

The Hungry Tide: The Hungry Vegan

Lemme tell ya..I am Exhausted with a capital E. Today I finished my second of four finals. Half way done, but unfortunately the last two are the biggest ones and they fall on the same day. Kill me? No just feed me some good food, allow me some vices, and pour mass amounts of good beer down my throat when this is all over. Just kidding, Mom...?

Being in school after a year of being off is tough work. All the sudden food service jobs seem appealing and the full time jobs that I hated guarantee less stress than this. But, since there is no turning back and I am determined to graduate college eventually, I'll just suck it up for now and make some tasty food when I want to procrastinate.

The final I finished today was my Hindi Literature final. My teacher was pretty much hilarious, so I thought she deserved a little reminder how awesome the class was, because even though I was half-asleep for most of the semester I really did enjoy the class and the books we read.

And so I made her Aloo Parathas from a recipe I found on VeganYumYum.com. The link points you to her, Lolo (the woman who runs the site), pictures and recipe as I am way too tired to think of typing more than I need to...and because I want everyone to become obsessed with her blog and see her beautiful photography!

Don't be intimidated by this recipe. I was surprised how incredibly simple it really was. Also, don't be discouraged if you cannot find all the ingredients. For instance, I serached everywhere for Garam Masala last year when I wanted to make curry one night (but it's in any store that sells bulk spices or Indian food (or you can always make your own as it i just a combination of many common Indian spices.)) In addition, don't be let down if you cannot find Duram Atta flour (I sifted together 1/2 cup of All Purpose and 1/2 of Kamut Flour and it worked just fine (or 1/2 of Whole Wheat will also work.)

Here is a picture of how mine turned out (but please check out her pictures...the are more enticing). I used the recipe to a T and had 4 for myself and 4 for my Hindi Professor. I am sure she appreciated the gesture, but I am guessing I don't have the Indian food art down just yet!

Shown with some Aloo Gobi and Matar I made from a recipe in my head..more Aloo because the potatoes I used in the Spicy Potato Bread mixture were pretty big and I had a lot more stuffing than dough.

This post has been really word due to essay writing...but I will end with my breakfast Sunday morning. I had a lot of silken tofu left over from the cookies I made my dad so i made some French Toast. I had never thought to use tofu for French Toast...but it's what I was craving and what I had--and it turned out amazing. (I even simply ate the batter I did not use!)

2 Slices of Wheat Bread (left out over night OR toasted)
1/3 cup silken tofu
1/4 cup Apple Juice (freshly juiced YUM!)
1 tsp Cinnamon
1 tsp Vanilla Extract
1 tsp Orange Juice
1/2 Tbsp Flax Seed
1 Tbsp Wheat Germ
2 Tbsp Maple Syrup

Blend together everything except the bread (you can probably use water in exchange for apple juice, but I love sweet things to be really sweet.) Also not everyhas Flax Seed or Wheat Germ lying around..but I was worried the tofu wasn't enough to replace the eggs (and I know flax works in baking.) But, I am pretty sure you could leave those out! In the end it should be the consistency of yogurt. Dip, Cook, Flip, Eat! I ate mine with Adam's Natural Peanut Butter, an orange, Gimmie Lean Vegan Sausage, and an episode of Law and Order: SVU.



Love,

Taco

No comments: